Fields Project Monday

June 26, 2011

Fields Project 2011-Monday #1, Oil on Canvas Panel 8" x 10"

Fields Project 2011-Monday #2, Oil on Canvas Panel 8" x 10"

Fields Project 2011 - Monday #3, Oil on Canvas Panel 6" x 8"

Last week, I had the opportunity to join with artists at the 2011 Fields Project in Oregon Illinois. The Fields Project website, (http://www.fieldsproject.com/) offers information concerning the meeting of art and agriculture, but as an artist, it gives me access to paint on location at farms in the Oregon area. Although a number of farms are available to us, the organizers schedule one farm for each day of the week to encourage artists to paint together and get to know each other.

On Monday, the visiting artists along with a few members of the Eagles Nest Painters were attending a session at the gallery in the Oregon library and would not be arriving at the host farm until mid-morning. The weather forecast for the day was not favorable. I arrived at the farm shortly after 8:00am, confirmed that I was at the correct location, quickly found a spot and set up to paint. My first work is looking up from the main drive to the milk house adjacent to the owners home.

Shortly after I started my painting, it began to mist then drizzle. I set up my umbrella and kept at work. As I was nearing completion of my first painting, the other artists arrived.

By the time I finished painting number 1, most of the other nine artists had claimed their spots and were at work. Although quite damp, I found another location looking from a dirt path out to field’s past the main barn. Interesting time painting as it went from no rain, to mist, to drizzle, to no rain, then rain again. By the time I was about three quarters of the way through this work the rain stopped for good. Constant changes in lighting made for an additional challenge.

As I finished painting number 2, it was almost noon and seemed like a good time to break for lunch. The other artists agreed. I got the opportunity to chat with friends and meet a few of the visiting artist. During lunch, the sun came out. Lunch ended and I found another scene to paint.

During the time that I worked on my third painting, most of the other artists had enough for one day, packed up their gear and left. I completed painting number 3, and decided to pack up and head back to Rockford.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: